16 March 2005

FluffyBunny?? WTF, Mate?!

OK, I guess the first thing I need to do is 'splain the moniker. First off, I have a penis. It is glorious. Well, not really, but it has always been loyal to me. People have generally in the past seen the name and figured that I was female.

The story goes like this: I started working at a start-up software company in Atlanta back in 1997 after I finished grad school. The company had its reigning alpha-geek gamer champ, whom I will refer to as BigHead (This doesn't refer to his ego, although he had plenty of that like any programmer, but rather to his physically enormous gourd. It was huge. Unnatural. Almost South Park-esque in proportion to the rest of his body.) BigHead was apparently very good at most of the games the guys played on the company network after (and often during) hours. One day we got a new game called 'Metal Gear', I think. One of those Mech Warrior robot type games. Well, he challenged me to play a head-to-head game, I accepted.

In these games (FPS), of course, you choose a name to show up on screen. I picked FluffyBunny because I figured if I killed him, it would be funny having him see 'You have been killed by FluffyBunny' on his screen. Well, a bunch of people packed into BigHead's office to watch him stomp me at this game. Didn't happen. He saw 'You have been killed by FluffyBunny' a lot. Everyone had a good laugh at his expense.

After that it just stuck. I started using it for every online game just for the same amusing effect. And because frankly, the tired old hard-ass names like 'DeathMaker', 'SoulRavager', 'PuppyKiller' are just not that intimidating. A co-worker and friend started using the name 'TinkyWinky' and he and I would go terrorize FPS servers across the net. Good times.

I don't play too many on-line shooters anymore, but I do still use the name fo rmessage boards and such. Too lazy to come up with something else.

OK, lame story I know. But what were you expecting?

No comments: