03 April 2008

What is this, a fucking BBQ blog?

OK, so there are two updates to make. First, Wilson's BBQ is kaput. Not real surprising considering the BBQ wasn't out of this world spectacular, and because the location is shitty.

Second, I think I have a new #1 in the form of Shane's rib shack. The ribs are better than Mr. T's simple because they don't drown them in sauce. As far as inherent tenderness and flavor, they are on par, but that sauce issue is important. Moreover, Shane's has ridiculously good Brunswick Stew. Definitely the best I have ever had. It is thick, meaty and flavorful. I have, on several occasions now, gone there before baseball games to pick up dinner in the form of a pint of the Brunswick Stew. That pint is filling for a meal, and way cheaper than buying food at the stadium.

Baseball is actually how Shane's was introduced to me. The owner of the local franchise (yes, like Famous Dave's it is a chain) is a sponsor for the Animals this year and had a bunch of us come in for a free meal early this season. I was hooked immediately. This isn't some spiel to brown-nose an Animal sponsor either, the food there is really good. The only problem with the place is that it isn't located closer to home so I can have it for dinner more often.

So, I suppose a new BBQ ranking list is in order:

1) Shane's Rib Shack
2) Mr. T's
3) Jim & Milt's
4) Famous Dave's
5) Gerdie's

No comments: